In this article
This knowledge base article shows you how to correct a loose and wrinkled CLS621 ribbon on your number plate printer. Perform this task every time you replace a ribbon or load fresh reflective rolls on your printer. For the best print performance check your ribbon every time you start a production run.
You will need to access the inside of the printer to correct a loose and wrinkled ribbon. Before you start ensure the power is turned off, then open up the top cover.
For ease of access and to release tension, you will need to raise the print unit and ribbon up. To release the print unit and ribbon holder, push the large headed blue lever and lift it all the way up. Just leave the sensor arm where it is. Now you can start to fix a loose or wrinkled ribbon.
The easiest way to get rid of wrinkles is tweaking the two cores. Start on the winding side and rotate the blue knob backwards and forwards. Simply jiggle it to remove any slack and wrinkles from the exposed ribbon. Repeat with the ribbon side if required until all your wrinkles have gone.
If the wrinkles do not disappear or if it’s slipping when printing, perform ribbon tension adjustment. This is a more advanced task, so check your user guide for instructions or contact our technical support.
- A: Front ribbon tension knob (winding) – Adjust to suit ribbon width and if ribbon is wrinkled or slips.
- B: Front ribbon left-right balance knob (winding) – Set to centre position and adjust if ribbon is wrinkled.
- C: Media width dial – Adjust to suit media width, set to 9 for standard oblong.
- D: Back ribbon tension knob (feeding) – Adjust to suit ribbon width or when ribbon wrinkles or slips.
- E: Back ribbon left-right balance knob (feeding) – Set to centre position and adjust if ribbon is wrinkled.
- F: Media thickness dial – Adjust to suit media thickness, set to 4 for reflective.
- G: Print head lever – Push lever to raise print unit to install media & ribbons.
Once you’re happy the ribbon is wrinkle free, you’ll need to lower the print unit and set-up your components. Check the internal media guides so they’re in their correct positions, just wide enough for the reflective. Now lower the print unit down, pushing the blue knob to lock it into place.
Turn on the printer and when ready push the feed button on the control panel, this will tighten up the ribbon and print mechanism. If using rolls, it will also feed a panel through the mechanism until it reaches the next start position. Close the top cover when you’ve finished.
For more detailed instructions, try your printers user guide.
If you need further assistance with your number plates contact our customer service team for help. With an account, you can order replacement CLS621 Consumables from our NP-Shop. There we list black ribbons and reflective rolls alongside head cleaning pens and alcohol wipes.