Become a Number Plate Supplier

Who Needs to Register

Every number plate supplier must register with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). This includes manufacturers and those who make and supply number plates. Not only is this a legal obligation, but there are large fines face those who break this law. Where a company has multiple branches, each place of business must also be registered.
Become a Number Plate Supplier and register at the DVLA

How to Register

The DVLA provide information online on how to become a number plate supplier online – here. To register as a supplier you’ll need to complete form V940. But if you have operate in more than one location, you’ll also need to complete form v940/1.

Postal Applications

Once you have completed your forms you’ll need to send them to the DVLA. Remember these are legal documents and may contain payment information. So ensure your sensitive documents are secure. Postal Applications can be Posted to the DVLA at:

The Register of Number Plate Suppliers
SA99 1DB

Online Applications

Or you can submit your application online on the website and make payment at the same time. Further to the application forms, their website has guides on your legal obligations. Alongside DVLA contact details, for when you need help and advice.

Acknowledgement & RNPS Number

Once your application has been accepted, you’ll be sent a letter of acknowledgement from the DVLA – a V942. Which confirms that you can legally make and sell number plates from the locations that you’ve registered.

Notably the letter will also state your Registered Number Plate Supplier (RNPS) number. Also known as a Supplier I.D. number (SID). You will need to keep this number safe for your records. And provide it to companies who make plates on your behalf. Or to manufacturers who supply number plate components to you.

Registration Cost

For each location you register, there is a one-off fee of £40. If you do not register, but still supply number plates, you can be fined up to £5,000 per plate.
Stacks of British pound coins

Supplying Number Plates

Once you have become a number plate supplier, there are a a set of obligations you must keep. First your number plates must be legal and conform to British Standards. And you must keep specific records of our supply. Once again strict fines can be placed for non-conformance.

British Standards

Every number plates you make must conform to current British Standards. This set of regulations covers their design and performance. If you do not comply, you can be fined up to £2,500 per plate and be banned from supplying number plates. It is essential you abide by all relevant rules and regulations. So keep a close eye on the DVLA for any changes to the law. And report any changes to your circumstances within 28 days.

Record Keeping

As a registered supplier you’ll be required to keep detailed records of your plate supply. These records must include information on the plate itself, including the registration number. And you must keep a record of your customers name, address and entitlement. More details on what proofs you will need to see and record can be found on the Your Obligations article.

If you keep digital or electronic records you’ll have to Register with the Office of the Information Commissioner, which includes an annual registration fee of £35. Whether you keep paper or digital records, you’ll still need to comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act.

Number Plate Equipment & Components

To meet all the requirements of the British Standards would be overwhelming for a standard supplier. So instead, you will need to find an equipment and component provider – like Tennants.

This way you get access to our proven and certified supply, as long as you follow specifications. Which will save you 10 of thousands on the cost of set-up, development and certification. And you’ll get access to software that ensures your plates format is legal. Not to mention regular software updates, alongside service and support options.