In this article
This knowledge base article shows you the common CLS700 print issues found when making number plates and how to fix them. The exaggerated images shown below are meant to represent print problems clearly to help illustrate each issue. Remember most issues are caused by using the wrong settings or not following our recommended conditions for the printer and components. We also recommend you clean the print head regularly, while changing the ribbon or before a production run.
- Cause: Insufficient heat from the thermal head when printing. Ambient temperature is below the recommended levels.
- Resolution: Increase the print heat settings until the issue clears up. Heat up or re-locate the plate production area to a warmer place.
- Cause: Excessive heat from the thermal head when printing. Temperature is set above recommended levels or insufficient cooling of the plate production area.
- Resolution: Lower the heat settings until the issue clears. Check and clean the print head of any contamination. Re-locate the plate production area to a cooler place or provide better ventilation.
- Cause: Contamination of media components, usually from dust, grease or condensation.
- Resolution: Ensure you media and production environment is dry, clean and dust free. Always keep media components in their packets until it’s time to use them. Wipe down reflective media before installing it into the printer.
- Cause: Dirty, dusty or greasy media components. Print head is contaminated with dirt or old ink.
- Resolution: Clean the print head and test print until the issue clears. Check the media components and work environment is clean. Double check your printer settings.
- Cause: Creased or wrinkled ribbon. A loose ribbon or winding core on the print unit.
- Resolution: Remove any wrinkles from the ribbon by using the blue knobs on the holders. Turn the both ribbon and winding core until the wrinkles disappear.
- Cause: Components loaded wrongly. Media guides incorrectly positioned. Or using the wrong media alignment control settings.
- Resolution: Check the guides for feeding the media are correctly positioned, they should be placed just either side of the reflective panel. Ensure your rolls are fitted correctly with one side sitting flush against the media arm.
If you need further assistance contact our customer service team for help.